Wednesday 9 January 2013

First Look: Deus Vult

The Medieval period and, in particular the Crusades, have long been of interest but it's another one where I have found it difficult to find a set of rules I was happy with for more than a skirmish.  So when I spotted that the new Deus Vult rules from Fireforge Games was in the NorthStar sale I ordered a copy.

The rules come as a hardback book, in the smaller Osprey size rather than the larger Black Powder format, they are 192 pages in colour and are split into 16 main sections.  The rules themselves are around 75 pages in a two column format interspersed with photos and art work with a side bar containing explanations and quotations.


The rules are written for 25-30mm figures and a 6' x 4' playing area for two players but there are specific sections which allow you to use different figure and table sizes along with more players.  Figures are intended to be individually based but on movement trays (to allow for casualty removal) with infantry on 20x20mm bases 6 to a stand (3x2) and cavalry 25x50mm 2 to a stand - but they also have suggestions as how to deal with differently based armies.

The rules are principally d6 based, although d4, d8, d10 and d12 are used for the leader duels.  In some cased you can end up rolling quite a few dice - which is great if you like that sort of thing!  Army lists are provided for the Early Crusader States 1100-1128AD and the Arab Dynasties 945-1150AD with some sample units for other eras (e.g. Teutonic Knights, Seljuk Turks) with the full lists coming in supplements to be release later.  


Armies are built in Divisions each commanded by a Battle Leader who is pretty crucial to their success although more from an activation and command basis; however, they do have some attributes which seem like they could be pretty handy.  There is an interesting pre-battle phase with the opportunity to using scouts to influence terrain and deployment and also to introduce some subterfuge which should add some interest value.

A set of seven different battle scenarios are provided covering everything from a stand up fight to an encirclement.  There is also a summary of the Crusades but not much detail on any of the battle unfortunately and an overview map.  This is followed by an almost blow by blow account of the fictional battle of Samosata, some advice on flexing the rules and creating new scenarios followed by a set of game aids and the reference section of the rules but no separate quick reference sheet.

I must be getting old but the small typeface and fonts used on the back cover and side bars (especially as it's white on dark brown) I found rather hard to read.  The rules themselves are relatively clear and the scenarios seem to have a good range of options.  I was initially put of by the points system but that's not a deal breaker for me as it is a useful tool for evaluating the relative power of different units and abilities.  There's some nice eye candy with the photographs and artwork which certainly provide some inspiration and the sample battle really helps to put the whole thing together.  I am really looking forward to giving these a try on the tabletop.

Amazingly enough this is actually my 500th post on the blog so that's another little milestone I've reached!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, considering getting a set of these rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I'll be able to do a proper review once I have tried them on the table.

      Delete
  2. I am watching the local club to see if they take hold, Impetus being the only competition at the moment, but it sounds like it will give a far different style of battle, appealing to the Saga minded

    I have got to get more of those FireForge figures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not played Impetus but, based on what little I do know, I would think these would give a rather different game. I'm not sure as to whether it would necessarily appeal to the "Saga minded" as it doesn't really have that board game style influence though.

      Their figures are rather tempting...

      Delete
  3. Must admit, the foreforge figures look great, but I'm not clever enough to learn yet another set of medieval rules. Hmmm.... movement trays - sounds a bit like Warhammer Historical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fireforge figures do look good but I'm trying to build on my existing Gripping Beast first Crusade collection initially.

      I suspect there are some common themes with Warhammer Historical but as I don't have much experience with that I can't really contrast them properly.

      Delete