Monday 28 March 2022

Field of Battle - Spanish Succession

In my seemingly endless quest for a set of rules for the War of the Spanish Succession that (a) fits my preconceived notions; (b) suit my figure collection; (c) are good for multiple players and (d) are fun; I put on a game at the club using the Field of Battle rules from the Piquet stable.

My primary reason for trying these was I want to try out Vauban's Wars from the same publisher and these were suggested as appropriate for any associated field battles. 

Here are a few photos from the playtest game:




Views on the rules were interesting.  I liked the variability created by the card driven mechanism; however, one of the other players thought it introduced too much randomness.  I suspect we both have different tolerance levels and attitudes to uncertainty.  Let's see the reaction to Vauban's Wars but I would like to get these to the table again.

4 comments:

  1. FoB is a good choice I think. Some don't like the amount of friction it introduces especially if it's their first game with it. Hopefully you will get another go with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and will be persisting with them as I like the friction!

      Delete
  2. Never played them, but I do like the sound of them, a bit of fog of war adds a little spice and kinda takes away that helicopter feel for games. IMO anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree Ray. I doubt we will tempt you away from BtLB any time soon though?

      Delete