Thursday 16 April 2020

Lockdown Update

After quite a period of radio silence, many due to having lost my blogging mojo, I've decided to use the lockdown as an opportunity to try to get back into it.  So expect a few posts on games I have played over the last year or so along with current projects.

On the project front I am currently working on the following:


Norway 1940 - the campaign in Norway has been a bit of a backwater from a gaming perspective but given my interest in early war it seemed to have lots going for it.  The main thing that held me back was the lack of suitable figures.  In the end I have chosen to do this one in 28mm using Chain of Command and sourced a mix of Brigade Games, Gorgon Studios and Crusader figures.  The Brigade and Gorgon Studios ones ended up being rather expensive as I had to import them from the States and got caught with the VAT and dreaded handling charge.  I am currently working my way through a platoon each of Gebirgsjäger, Germans in greatcoats, Norwegians and French Foreign Legion with British in greatcoats and Jerkins ready to be sent away for painting when things are back to normal.


Mexican Adventure - another not terribly mainstream war-game project which has had something of a prolonged gestation!  I was originally drawn to this through my interest in the French Foreign Legion (you'll have noticed the connection with the previous project I am sure!) and when a friend of mine was selling off some of his part started projects I picked up his 15mm Freikorps ones for Mexico.  That was over 20 years ago!  The two main reasons (excuses) for the delay were the rather odd mix of figures he had bought (I think he had enough to do the Egyptian battalion man for man!) combined with the lack of a compelling set of rules.  In the end I waited for QRF to add photos to their website (as the figures were not labelled and quite difficult to identify) before picking up a better mix plus finding the Zouave rules.  I now have enough figures for some decent sized engagements in various stages of basing!


WW1 Eastern Front - having completed two Austro Hungarian and one Russian Division for Battles with Brusilov I am in the process of painting up another Russian Division - although this has taken rather a long time so far!


Operation Sealion - this project has been making progress slowly with the focus mainly being on building MDF kits and collecting suitable vehicles.  Once again this is 28mm using Chain of Command (although a larger 15mm collection is slowly coming together as well).  In order to provide some focus I have booked a game in at the club in September - so I had better get cracking!

That's the main few but as you will have gathered I am easily distracted and as I can work full time from home doing the lockdown I am not making the major strides forward that some of my club mates are...

6 comments:

  1. Good to see you back on the blogosphere once again Al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - shame we won't be having a meet up at Salute but I was going to have to hang my head in shame!

      Delete
  2. So good to hear from you Al! All sounds promising and I look froward to seeing more from your good self shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It’s a shame we won’t be able to catch up at Salute and I was really looking forward to seeing your game - the glimpses we’ve had on your blog have been fab!

      Delete
    2. I enjoy our annual catch up, on the plus side I won't have you tempting me to spend my money. :D Take care.

      Delete
    3. That’s a service that I can offer virtually if you have your credit card handy! 😀

      Delete