Tuesday 7 July 2009

Wargames Weekend: Muerte in Merida

Our third game was a great opportunity to get my Grand Manner Spanish terrain out with some of my Anglian Miniatures figures along with a chance to try an adaptation of the Lardies Through the Mud and the Blood rules.

I played to type as the Nationalists but this time in defence. The Legion had captured Merida and the Republicans, reinforced by Asaltos from Madrid, decided to try taking it back.

My main challenge was holding the large town wall with only three sections. Things started well but the Asaltos penetrated the perimeter before one of my sections managed to reach it (one of the challenges of the card driven system with a small number of Big Men). It was at this stage that we found the modifier for moving attackers in melee (defender loses 2 dice per attackers dice of movement) which resulted in my section being routed.


The Asaltos went on to attack the next unit in the flank routing it also. As a result my big men spent most of their time removing shock points in order to turn the around. Eventually I managed to rally the units but they lost the firefight with the Republicans and the latter were victorious.

What was apparent was that Mud & Blood does not easily translate to periods with smaller unit sizes. I also plan to query that pesky melee modifier on the Lardies discussion group.

5 comments:

  1. That's a nicely set out gaming board,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I do try to set things out with an eye for the aesthetics. I suspect it's the training I had in the Jersey Wargames Society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Al,
    You were in jersey?
    I am a Cornishman. My wife and i come from Newquay.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only Jerseyman in my family and lived there for over 20 years.

    ReplyDelete