Tuesday 16 January 2024

January Project Update

I last updated you all on my current and emerging projects all the way back in March last year.  Once again this is something of an eclectic list!

First the Stage 4 Projects (see my Project Categorisation post):

German Revolution

I am pleased to say that my German Revolution project covering some of the unrest in Germany following the end of the Great War has progressed to the point I can get it to the table.

I am still planning to use the Freikorps und Spartacist rules by Stephen Danes which, as will be obvious from the title, are specifically for the period.  My figures are mostly from the TSUBA Miniatures German Revolution range available from Empress and will be supplemented by appropriate other armed and unarmed civilians from my existing collection.  I have also put together some appropriate period specific table elements and markers.

Rif War

My next interwar project, this time coving elements of the Rif War in Morocco. I am pleased to say that, with the sole exception of some heavy weapons this is now ready to get to the table.  The Moroccans and Berbers are from Artizan Designs (from their March or Die and First World War ranges respectively) and the French troops are from the Woodbine Designs WW1 range by Gripping Beast and my existing Spanish are from Empress Miniatures.
I am planning to use the Beyond the Empire rules from Partizan Press for the first game.


Great Syrian Revolt

As I explained in the previous update, this project has the benefit of sharing some figures with the Rif War project one particularly the French but also the Berbers (who will be standing in for the Druze).

I am going to use Beyond the Empire again (unless I hate them having tried them for the Rif) but do need to try to make the games are distinct.



Pulp Alley

Having amassed a substantial number of Pulp miniatures (variously from Pulp FiguresPulp Alley and Crooked Dice) I have been keen to put together a few Pulp games for this year (technically this means that some of this project are at Stage 3!).

The first game will be a Nazi-Gothic horror game with both the Tomb of the Serpent and China Station campaigns in various stages of completion for later outings.

I am still planning to use the Pulp Alley rules for some other genres including Weird versions of the Wild West, Great War, World War 2 and Vietnam (too many ideas, too little time!)

And now my Stage 3 Projects:

Operation Sealion (28mm)

Unfortunately my Operation Sealion project (a what-if based on the planned  Nazi invasion of the UK) has rather stalled at this stage.  Whilst I have completed most of the pillboxes, obstacles and the like; the two invasion barges remain to be completed.  I still need to paint up a beaverette and finish off some Home Guard improvised weapons so hopefully this shouldn't take too long.

The plan is still to run three scenarios: (1) a beach landing on the Kent coast; (2) an assault on a defended bridge over the Royal Military Canal and (3) a Fallschirmjäger assault on an RAF airfield.

This has rather taken a back seat to a Big Chain of Command game I have been working on for 1940 France intended for a 12x6 foot table.

By Fire & Sword

I have just got the first couple of the skirmish sets for these rules painted and just need to base them.  I still have some further research for scenarios and have picked up a couple of books to help me those. I also have a copy of the Twilight of the Divine Right With Fire and Sword supplement for the period in case I want to go for bigger engagements.

It's a fascinating period with lots of interesting character and colour so I can't wait to get this to the table to see how the rules stand up (especially as they are just in the process of creating the second edition!). 


Russian Civil War (15mm)

Having built a reasonably sized Imperial Russian force for the Great War and with my penchant for having multiple uses for figures, I decided to use them as the basis for a White Russian force for the civil war.  This requires the addition of some flag bearer bases and the provision of some Red opposition.  So I took advantage of Peter Pig's advance warning of their price increases and bought both (along with some additional Great War figures).

I am currently planning to use the Triumph of the Will rules by the Too Fat Lardies but have also picked up a copy of It Rolls for Ivan rules from the Wargaming for Grown Ups stable.

I do also have my 28mm Interventionist Forces sitting unpainted in a box waiting for me to get some Bolsheviks to oppose them...

And now my Stage 2 Projects:

Hungarian War of Independence 1848/9

I can't recall exactly what piqued my interest in the Hungarian Revolution of 1848 but it didn't take long for me decided to make it a future project.

I am currently looking at some sample 15mm figures from Irregular Miniatures to see if this is the scale I will go with.  The Bloody Big Battles! rules have a supplement specifically for the period and, as per usual, I have picked up a few books for background research (and painting guidance!)

This one may well be a little while away before it hits the table.


Franco-Prussian War

I have had a fascination for the Franco-Prussian War for a while but whilst I have amassed various rulesets and books on the subject, the one thing that has been holding me back is deciding which scale to do it in.

Given the size of the major engagements, 6mm would seem to make sense; however, 15mm has always been a favourite of mine and hence I have procrastinated!

Will 2024 be the year when I make a choice and move forward with this one?


No comments:

Post a Comment