Friday 7 October 2022

First Play: Blood & Valor

Given I have quite a selection of 28mm WW1 figures I have been looking at options for rules to help me get them to the table.  Whilst Blood & Valor (sic) may look nearer the game end of the spectrum rather than the simulation end, it is flexible enough to enable you to put together historical organisations.

So I decided to put together a couple of scenarios to test out the rules at the last club meeting.  I decided to go with late war using my French and German troops.  It also gave me a chance to get one of my purchases from years ago to the table (finally!).

Here are a few photos from the two games:









The rules were very easy to pick up and the players commented how easy they were to remember during the game without the need for lots of referencing.  The initiative bidding mechanism is interesting but really only creates meaningful choices once the sides are engaged.  Whilst I'm not a huge fan of saving roll mechanisms they work pretty smoothly here.  I need to reflect on the morale results as I wonder whether some tweaks there will help with the feel but I need more games to decide.

4 comments: