Friday 19 January 2018

The Battle of Lützen 1813

A few weeks ago some old friends invited me up to play an all day game of 28mm Napoleonics using their extensive collection of figures.

The game was the Battle of Lützen in 1813 using the second edition of the Shako rules.

I had command of Ney's troops in the centre of the table and was engaged by the allied troops from the first turn.  I managed to hold them up a little (although my dice rolling was particularly bad!) but their numbers forced me to fall back before our reinforcements arrived.

It was a hard fought and bloody engagement.  We failed to replicate Napoleon's performance historically though.

Here are a few photos from the day, apologies for the poor quality as I only had my phone with me:








10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wish I could say the figures were from my own collection but sadly no. They are mostly from one friend's and he did paint a colossal number of cavalry just for the game!

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking game. You don't often see Shako being played anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great game. We do enjoy playing Shako but it really doesn't get the exposure it deserves I think. Of course Napoleonic rules are rather more a matter of personal taste than most.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks (on behalf of the friends who organised the game!), it was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I have the Shako rules but to my shame I have never got round to reading them (and many others I may add in my collection)

    Nice looking game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give them a go - I’ve always liked them but they’re not going to suit all Napoleonic players (as if any one set of rules could!)

      Delete
  5. Coming late to this post but do you have copy of scenario ie map and OOBs ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my scenario I’m afraid so I don’t but will enquire with the host to see if he still has them

      Delete