28mm Mahdist War - as you may have seen from my various posts I have completed the first phase (the Suakin Campaign) of this project with the small exception of some rough stone walls - something I hope to start during the long weekend. I decided to put the next phase (Khartoum) on hold for the moment (although it is still on the possible list for some purchases at SELWG - some bazingers, baggara horse and a few more Nile arabs). Of course one of the big elements I need to work out is how to do the walls and other defences - although an attack from the river is something I can probably do with the terrain I already have...
28mm Indian Mutiny - again I have been slowly progressing this one as can be seen from the various posts; however, I was going to put this on hold for a little while - at least until I went to Salute and picked up some Naval Brigade and more irregular figures. These are currently sat on my workbench waiting for me to organise them into a pack to send to be painted. I suspect I will add a few more figures before they go so it may be a little while before they are actually finished. Plus I am keeping my eye on the Mutineer Miniatures site as there are some upcoming packs which would help me do some particular scenarios I have in mind.
28mm WW3 - with the sole exception of making and painting my BTR this project has come along nicely and the BAOR and Soviets are exactly where I had planned. Lenin and I have agreed to stop calling this period "Moderns" as it really isn't any more and now refer to it as "Cold War". I am currently going through the relevant Force on Force supplement for scenario ideas (as some of them as way out of my reach and budget!)
28mm Early War Polish - I have picked up a couple more packs to make up a platoon of these chaps but I would quite like to give them some armour support, well armour-lite anyway, in the shape of a TK tankette - unfortunately Warlord hadn't brought any to Salute so I couldn't get one there. I am currently working out where in the painting schedule these guys will best fit.
15mm Marlburian - the first batches of Allied and French forces are currently being painted and I picked up the next batches at Salute so these need tidying up and organising (plus a little more research to choose units etc). I am currently in the throws of trying to choose which rules I will use for them. The candidates are Beneath the Lily Banners, Ga Pa, Maurice and Lace Wars at the moment. Having now read them all I can see each has their own advantages and disadvantages and it may be that I actually end up using more than one set to suit the type of game I want. In any event I need to decide how I am going to base up the figures and am currently thinking that the BLB approach looks best and can be made to work with all four sets.
28mm Montrose - I am currently in the process of rebasing these figures after their long hibernation! I am basing them individually and going to use movement trays - the same Warbases ones I use for my Tudor Ireland figures - as this gives flexibility and is much easier for storage, particularly for the pikemen. I hope to have the first batch finished shortly. Initially I think I will be using the For God, King and Country rules but Bloody Kingdom from AB One is also a possibility.
25mm French Revolution - OK, so for my first "no progress" report. I'm afraid this project hasn't moved on at all from January. The main excuse is that I haven't decided on what I'm going to use for the street terrain - I have some suitable houses but I really don't have any tiles or cloths which look right and I haven't spotted a sensibly priced option yet.
28mm RCW/WW1 Eastern Front - once again "no progress" I'm afraid plus there's not really any excuse for this one - other than I have been working on other things!
So that's an update on the projects I listed in January. In addition to those I have done a little work on some others. I based up some more of my 15mm Peter Pig WW2 figures and painted some armour to use with the latest version of I Ain't Been Shot Mum (mainly for a game in February). I have also finished some 28mm British Paras which I am currently working out a scenario for so I can get them to the table. But other than that things have been pretty quiet - not least due to the seemingly endless re-decorating required in the "new" house (not made any easier by a recurring leak!)
My list of possible new projects has, of course, grown in addition to the three I mentioned in January I have been distracted by a couple more:
- 28mm Modern Afghanistan
- 28mm Maori Wars
- 28mm Carlist Wars
- 28mm Medieval (Otterburn or Agincourt - not decided as yet!)
- 6mm WW2